Stuffed Bell Peppers
- ¼ cup Each of White, Brown, and Wild Rice
- 6 Medium Bell Peppers (2 Yellow, 2 Red, 2 Green)
- 1 lb. New York Style Sausage (Mild, Hot, or Turkey)
- 1 Small Onion (chopped fine)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1/2 lb. Fresh Small Mushrooms (chopped small)
- 1/3 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped fine)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Grated Romano Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Prepare rices and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350o.
- Wash and clean bell peppers.
- Slice off the tops (approx. 1/2 inch) and clean insides thoroughly.
- Remove sausage from casing and saute in a large frying pan over medium heat until crumbled and lightly browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Saute onion, garlic, mushrooms and parsley in remaining drippings until soft.
- Add walnuts and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable mixture and cheese to sausage, stir together and add cooked rice.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil and beaten eggs.
- Combine well. Stuff bell pepper with the sausage mixture.
- Rub the exterior of the peppers with additional olive oil, place in a baking pan, cover loosely with foil and bake for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, or until peppers are tender.
- Makes 6 servings.
Note: Serve peppers “New York Style” with your favorite pasta sauce and Romano cheese.